Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I started to train for 5k - and my legs are letting me know

     Yesterday, I started to train for 5k.  That's the first step, right?  I followed my plan, and it took me 47:30 to go 3.1 miles.  Although, I did not run the whole time, I completed the distance of a 5k, in what I think would be a "worst case scenario time."  This time includes a slow 5 minute walking warm up, and I ran for 60 seconds, then walked for 90 seconds.  If I follow my plan, my time can only get better. 
     I feel good about starting to train for 5k.  However, today my legs are a bit sore.  I did a bit of research to see what I should do about it.  I found that I have a slight case of DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness.  DOMS is thought to be caused by inflammation of the muscle as a result of microtears of the muscle fibers.  This is a common condition after beginning a new exercise program. 
      In order to lessen the symptoms of DOMS,  I need to get rid of the lactic acid and get some blood flowing to the muscles that are sore.  I need to do this through Active Isolated Stretching.  This involves slow, gradual, and controlled elongation of the muscle through a full range of motion  and held for 15-30 seconds in the furthest comfortable position.  One should not stretch to the point of pain. 
     The best prevention for DOMS is to start a new exercise program slowly.  Gradually build up your endurance and you should be okay.  I guess it is a little late for me!                         
     Today, my plan is to stretch, and do a 30 minute brisk walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment